Redundant pipe organs in Australia

https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/021-Case-photos-July-2014-1-300x300.jpg

The organ from the Adelaide Town Hall (Hill & Son, 1877), re-located to the Barossa Regional Gallery, Tanunda, SA in 2014

(Last updated December 2017)

This page lists redundant pipe organs in Australia for which new homes are currently being sought.

Information concerning instruments proposed for listing here should be sent to the OHTA Redundancies Co-ordinator:

Dr Geoffrey Cox
Tel: 03-9419-4448 or 0418-210-642
E-mail: gcox56157@bigpond.com

The information will be linked, where possible, to an existing page on the OHTA website.
Details required for the redundancy listing should normally include:

(a) the dimensions of the organ, and
(b) contact details for negotiating the terms of the re-location.
The terms for re-locating redundant organs vary from one instance to another, and need to be discussed with the current owner.

Websites Listing Redundant Pipe Organs Outside Australia

The Institute of British Organ Building (UK)

The Organ Clearing House (USA)

E.F. Walcker Orgelbau (Germany)

F.R. Feenstra Orgelbouw (Holland)

Gebrauchtorgeln (Germany)

New South Wales and ACT

https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/DrummoyneUC1-300x300.jpg

Drummoyne Uniting Church (formerly Methodist), 34 College Street, Drummoyne
W.L. Roberts, Adelaide, 1928
2 manuals, 14 speaking stops, 7 couplers, pneumatic action

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Five Dock-Drummoyne Uniting Church Office 02-9713-6818


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Campsie3-300x300.jpg

St John-the-Evangelist Anglican Church, Anglo Road, Campsie
C.W. Leggo, Sydney, 1931
Restored 1972 Ian D. Brown
2manuals, 11 speaking stops, 7 couplers, pneumatic action
Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Stephanie Chan 0404-686-217 or steph@yss.com.au


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Hay-1-300x300.jpg

St Paul’s Anglican Pro-Cathedral, Hay

E.F. Walcker & Cie, Ludwigsburg, Germany, 1887 (opus 487)

1 manual, 6 speaking stops, pedal pulldowns, mechanical action
Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Peter Jewkes 02 9684 6533 or peter@jewkes.com.au


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/ReidUC1-300x300.jpg

Uniting (formerly Methodist) Church, Reid, ACT.

(Organ in storage in Sydney)

J.W. Walker & Sons Ltd UK 1963
2 manuals, 4 ranks extended & mixture, electric action

Dimensions: Depth: 2.03 m, Width: 3.97 m, Height (highest point) approx 3.4 m

Contact: Peter Jewkes 02 9684 6533 or peter@jewkes.com.au


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/BondiMeth4-300x300.jpg

The Wayside Chapel Bondi (formerly Chapel-by-the Sea Uniting Church), Bondi Beach

Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane, 1927, for the Methodist Church, Bondi

Rebuilt, reduced in size and installed in present location 1971 S.T. Noad & Son, Sydney
2 manuals, 9 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Graham Anson 0417 267 095 or graham.anson@thewaysidechapel.com

Victoria

https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Milford-Derbyshire-Bevington-1-300x300.jpg

In storage in Melbourne - Formerly in the Workshop of Mark Fisher (Pipe Organ Reconstructions Pty Ltd), Sydney

Henry Bevington & Sons, London, 1905, for Holy Trinity Church, Milford, Derbyshire, UK.

2 manuals, 17 speaking stops, 4 couplers, mechanical action (pneumatic on pedals).
Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Ian Wakeley 0412 113 568 or wakeleyorgans@optusnet.com.au


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Port-Melbourne-Uniting-Church-001-300x300.jpg

Uniting (former Presbyterian) Church, Port Melbourne

Geo. Fincham & Sons Pty Ltd, Melbourne, 1925
2 manuals, 9 speaking stops, 3 couplers, pneumatic action

Dimensions: 2 metres deep plus a further 1 metre for the console and pedal board, 3.06
metres wide and around 5 metres high

Contact: John Maynard (Advisor on Organs for the Uniting Church of Australia, Synod of
Victoria and Tasmania) 0419-902-927 or jsmucorg@yahoo.com.au


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/faiths-kew-300x300.png

St Faith’s Anglican Church, Burwood

Geo. Fincham & Sons Pty Ltd, Melbourne, 1955
2 manuals, 7 ranks extended + mixture, 3 couplers, electric action

Dimensions: The pipework is currently situated in a chamber, 3 metres square, without any casework or façade pipes. The console is detached.

Contact: Ian Gibson (Director of Music) 0417-580- 851 or ihg@fastmail.fm


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Nettleship-house-organ-PS-300x300.jpg

Residence of Nigel Nettleship, 805 Derril Road, Moorooduc

Laurie Pipe Organs, Mordiallic (Chorale Model), 1966, for St John’s Anglican Church, Geelong West
2 manuals, 3 ranks extended + mixture, 18 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action

In full working order.

Dimensions:
Organ case: 2.0 m wide x 1.9 m deep x 2.7 m high
Console platform: 1.5 m wide x 1.2 m deep

Contact: Nigel Nettleship 0402-893-358 or nigel47@bigpond.com

Queensland

https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/SthBris.Baptist2-300x300.jpg

Former Baptist Church, South Bank (South Brisbane)
(Church demolished; organ in storage)

Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane, 1928, for the Congregational Church Hall, Brisbane Electrified with additions, c.1973, Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane
Rebuilt 1984 H.W. Jarrott, Brisbane
2 manuals, 19 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Simon Pierce 0412-676-282 or simon@piercepipeorgans.com.au

South Australia

https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/AdelaideChSc8-300x300.jpg

First Church of Christ Scientist, Adelaide

(Church building to be sold)

Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane, 1957
Enlarged 1989 George Stephens, Adelaide
2 manuals, 13 speaking stops, 7 couplers, electro-pneumatic action

No casework (organ behind a grille in the present church)

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Mrs Ruth Klose, 22 Alma Street, Panoramas, SA 5041
Tel: 0450-939-792 or 08-8277-2342
E-mail: rklose@sahost.net.au

Western Australia

No organs listed at present.

Tasmania

No organs listed at present.

A select list of successfully re-located organs in Australia

This list contains some redundant organs that have been successfully re-located in Australia since 1995.
The list is arranged chronologically by the dates of re-location. The organs listed are notable in that they
retain the integrity of their original builder's design.

Included here are instruments that were originally listed by OHTA as redundant, some that were effectively
redundant although never listed as such, and some that have been successfully re-located from overseas.

https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Glen1-1-300x300.jpg

1995

St Peter's Anglican Church, East Sydney, NSW (Hele & Co. 1880)
to St Finbar's Catholic Church, Glenbrook, NSW


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/StJosephsE1-300x300.jpg

1998

Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Port Melbourne, Vic (Geo. Fincham & Sons 1901)
to St Joseph's Catholic Church, Edgecliff, NSW


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Anderson2-300x300.jpg

1998

St Stephen’s Catholic Cathedral, Brisbane (William Anderson 1889?)
to Old Museum Building, Bowen Hills, Qld


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Fitzroy11-300x300.jpg

1999

St Luke's Anglican Church, Cowley, Oxfordshire, UK (Harrison & Harrison 1938)
to St Mark's Anglican Church, Fitzroy, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Mentone-St-Patrick-8A-300x300.jpg

1999

Independent (Congregational) Church, Prahran, Vic (Frederick W. Nicholson 1862)
to St Patrick and the Holy Angels' Catholic Church, Mentone, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Heidelberg-St-Johns-Cath-12b-300x300.jpg

2000

St Mary's Redemptorist Monastery, Ballarat, Vic (Alfred Fuller 1890)
to St John's Catholic Church, Heidelberg, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/ClaremontRC2-300x300.jpg

2003

Epworth Uniting Church, Parkside, SA (J.E. Dodd 1912)
to St Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church, Claremont, WA


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Scotch12-300x300.jpg

2004

Presbyterian Assembly Hall (Scots Church), Sydney (Hill, Norman & Beard 1930)
to Scotch College Memorial Hall, Hawthorn, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Flinders-St-John-4A-300x300.jpg

2005

Elsternwick Baptist Church, Vic (Douglas Renton 1874)
to St John the Evangelist Anglican Church, Flinders, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/ParraRC1-300x300.jpg

2005

St Saviour's Anglican Church, Walton Place, London, UK (Norman & Beard 1898)
to St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral, Parramatta, NSW


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Moreland-St-Fidelis-1A-300x300.jpg

2006

Methodist Church, North Essendon, Vic (Fincham & Hobday 1891)
to St Fidelis' Catholic Church, Moreland, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Bonny16-300x300.jpg

2007

St John the Baptist Anglican Church, West Hobart, Tas (Henry Bevington & Sons 1879)
to St John the Baptist Catholic Church, Bonnyrigg Heights, NSW


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/PerthStMCath99-300x300.jpg

2009

Newtown Methodist Church, Wellington, NZ (Arthur Hobday 1905)
to St Mary's Catholic Cathedral, Perth, WA


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Caulfield-St-Aloysius-Wolff-08-300x300.jpg

2010

Seventh-Day Adventist Church, College Park, SA (Johann Wolff 1880)
to St Aloysius' Catholic Church, Caulfield, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Parkville-St-Carthages-019-300x300.jpg

2011

Congregational Church, Williamstown, Vic (George Fincham 1885)
to St Carthage's Catholic Church, Parkville, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Carlton-Sacred-Heart-Balbiani-004-300x300.jpg

2012

St Francis Xavier's Catholic Church, Bowenfels, NSW (Balbiani 1929)
to Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Carlton, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Caulfield-Sth-St-Mary-the-Virgin-001-300x300.jpg

2014

St Peter's Anglican Church, Eaglehawk, Vic (Alfred Crook c.1886)
to St Mary-the-Virgin Anglican-Catholic Church, Caulfield South, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/021-Case-photos-July-2014-300x300.jpg

2014

Town Hall, Adelaide, SA (Hill & Son 1877)
to Barossa Regional Gallery, Tanunda, SA


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/WestminsterACT-300x300.jpg

2015

Marist College, Pearce, ACT (Wadsworth Bros 1908)
to Westminster Presbyterian Church Belconnen, Cook, ACT


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Creswick-St-Johns-Anglican-Church-018-GC-300x300.jpg

2016

Uniting Church (formerly Methodist), Barkly Street, Ballarat, Vic (Fincham & Hobday 1899)
to St John's Anglican Church, Creswick, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Flemington-Interior-2-300x300.jpg

2016

Girrawheen Community Church (formerly Methodist), Brighton, Vic (Alfred Fuller 1884, 1893)
to St Brendan's Catholic Church, Flemington, Vic


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Adelaide-St-FX-Cathedral-002-300x300.jpg

2016

St Jean de la Croix Catholic Church, Montreal, Canada (Casavant Frères 1927)
to St Francis Xavier's Catholic Cathedral, Adelaide, SA


https://ohta.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Darling-Point-The-Swifts-013-300x300.jpg

2016

Congregational Church, Gawler, SA (Fincham & Hobday 1885, 1888)
to 'Swifts', Darling Point, NSW