Welcome to the Organ Historical Trust of Australia
A warm welcome is extended to all those interested in finding out about the pipe organ in Australia and becoming enthused about our country's remarkable organ heritage. This site contains a great deal about the Organ Historical Trust of Australia (OHTA) - its projects, research, publications, awards, appeals, conservation standards and conferences - as well as providing information about whom to contact for information about the relocation of redundant pipe organs.
An enormous amount of research and fieldwork has enabled us to build an ever-growing online database about pipe organs in Australia, including scholarly histories, technical specifications and photographs.
Dr Kelvin Hastie OAM
Organs of Australia
Many of our instruments have been documented with histories, specifications and photos.
Details will be found in the "Organs of Australia" section.
To be an effective national preservation organisation, OHTA needs your financial support as well as your advice, interest and participation. Read more on how to become a member, which includes a subscription to our journal, OHTA News.
Our conferences are an excellent way to get to know our heritage of historical instruments intimately. Here are links to the photos and documentation of the organs visited during our conferences.
Current restoration appeals
A large number of successful organ restorations have been carried out throughout Australia over the years, ranging in size from the colossus in the Sydney Town Hall, to small chamber organs with but a handful of stops. Read more about fundraising and the current organ restoration appeals.
View the list of redundant pipe organs in Australia for which new homes are currently being sought. The information of these redundant organs, where possible, will be linked to an existing page on the OHTA website.
The following organ has been removed from the Redundant Organs list: St Alban’s Anglican Church, North Melbourne. Builder unknown (mid-19th century English). Purchased by the Beechworth Organ Society (on behalf of the Indigo Shire Council) for re-installation in the Beechworth Town Hall, Vic., where it was formerly located between 1886 […]Read More
The following organs have been added to the Redundant Organs list: Uniting (former Methodist) Church, Pleasant Street, Ballarat. George Fincham & Sons, Melbourne, 1921.Read More
The following organs have been added to the Redundant Organs list: Former St James’ Uniting (former Presbyterian) Church, Wattle Park. Alfred Fuller, Kew, 1887.Read More
The following organs have been added to the Redundant Organs list: Former St Francis-in-the-Fields Anglican Church, Mooroolbark. William Anderson, 1877. All Saints’ Anglican Church, South Hobart. Bishop & Starr, London. Installed 1862. Rebuilt and enlarged 1920 Geo. Fincham & Sons; Rebuilt and enlarged 1963 Davis & Laurie.Read More