Redundant Pipe Organs in Australia

(Last updated May 2017)

 

This page lists redundant pipe organs in Australia for which
new homes are currently being sought.

Information concerning instruments proposed for listing here
should be sent to the OHTA Redundancies Co-ordinator:

Dr Geoffrey Cox
Tel: 03-9419-4448 or 0418-210-642
E-mail: gcox56157@bigpond.com

The information will be linked, where possible, to an existing page
on the OHTA website.

Details required for the redundancy listing should normally include:

(a) the dimensions of the organ, and
(b) contact details for negotiating the terms of the re-location.

The terms for re-locating redundant organs vary from one instance
to another, and need to be discussed with the current owner.

 
The organ from the Adelaide Town Hall
(Hill & Son, 1877), re-located to the Barossa
Regional Gallery, Tanunda, SA in 2014


 

Please click here for A  SELECT LIST OF SUCCESSFULLY RE-LOCATED ORGANS IN AUSTRALIA

 

 

Websites Listing Redundant Pipe Organs Outside Australia

 

The Institute of British Organ Building (UK)
http://www.ibo.co.uk/resources/pre-owned/relocation.php

The Organ Clearing House (USA)
http://www.organclearinghouse.net/

E.F. Walcker Orgelbau (Germany)
http://www.walcker.com/walckermagazin/redundant-pipe-organs-from-uk.html

F.R. Feenstra Orgelbouw (Holland)
http://www.frfeenstra.nl/en/index_en.html

 

New South Wales & ACT

 


Drummoyne Uniting Church (formerly Methodist), 34 College Street, Drummoyne

W.L. Roberts, Adelaide, 1928
2 manuals, 14 speaking stops, 7 couplers, pneumatic action

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Peter Jewkes 02-9684-6533 or peter@jewkes.com.au
or Five Dock-Drummoyne Uniting Church Office 02-9713-6818


St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, 37 Anderson St, Chatswood

Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane, 1930 with later additions and tonal changes
2 manuals, 12 speaking stops, pneumatic action

For sale since 2008 as church building is to be redeveloped. Now urgent!
Purchased by Norbert Kelvin, but now negotiable.

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Peter Jewkes 02-9684-6533 or peter@jewkes.com.au
or Norbert Kelvin 0450-529-454 or n.kelvin@iucc.ie


St John-the-Evangelist Anglican Church, Anglo Road, Campsie

C.W. Leggo, Sydney, 1931
Restored 1972 Ian D. Brown
2manuals, 11 speaking stops, 7 couplers, pneumatic action

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact:  Stephanie Chan 0404-686-217 or steph@yss.com.au


Workshop of Peter D.G. Jewkes Pty Ltd, Sydney

J.J. Binns, Bramley, Leeds, 1903, for All Hallows Church, Milton, Staffordshire, UK
2 manuals, 12 speaking stops, mechanical (pneumatic on pedals).

Dimensions: Depth 2.59 m, 2.95 m (inclusive of case overhang and pedalboard),
3.17 m wide, around 5 m high.

Contact: Peter Jewkes 02 9684 6533 or peter@jewkes.com.au


Uniting (formerly Methodist) Church, Reid, ACT.

(Organ in storage in Sydney)

J.W. Walker & Sons Ltd UK 1963
2 manuals, 4 ranks extended & mixture, electric action

Dimensions: Depth: 2.03 m, Width: 3.97 m, Height (highest point) approx 3.4 m

Contact: Peter Jewkes 02 9684 6533 or peter@jewkes.com.au


St Paul's Anglican Pro-Cathedral, Hay

E.F. Walcker & Cie, Ludwigsburg, Germany, 1887 (opus 487)
1 manual, 6 speaking stops, pedal pulldowns, mechanical action

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Peter Jewkes 02 9684 6533 or peter@jewkes.com.au


The Wayside Chapel Bondi (formerly Chapel-by-the Sea Uniting Church), Bondi Beach

Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane, 1927, for the Methodist Church, Bondi
Rebuilt, reduced in size and installed in present location 1971 S.T. Noad & Son, Sydney
2 manuals, 9 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Graham Anson 0417 267 095 or graham.anson@thewaysidechapel.com


 

Victoria

 


In storage in Melbourne - Formerly in the Workshop of Mark Fisher
(Pipe Organ Reconstructions Pty Ltd)
, Sydney

Henry Bevington & Sons, London, 1905, for Holy Trinity Church, Milford, Derbyshire, UK.
2 manuals, 17 speaking stops, 4 couplers, mechanical action (pneumatic action on pedals).

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Ian Wakeley 0412 113 568 or wakeleyorgans@optusnet.com.au


Uniting (former Presbyterian) Church, Port Melbourne

Geo. Fincham & Sons Pty Ltd, Melbourne, 1925
2 manuals, 9 speaking stops, 3 couplers, pneumatic action

Dimensions: 2 metres deep plus a further 1 metre for the console and pedal board, 3.06
metres wide and around 5 metres high

Contact: John Maynard (Advisor on Organs for the Uniting Church of Australia, Synod of
Victoria and Tasmania) 0419-902-927 or jsmucorg@yahoo.com.au 


 

Queensland

 


Former Baptist Church, South Bank (South Brisbane)

(Church demolished; organ in storage)

Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane, 1928, for the Congregational Church Hall, Brisbane
Electrified with additions, c.1973, Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane
Rebuilt 1984 H.W. Jarrott, Brisbane
2 manuals, 19 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Simon Pierce 0412-676-282 or simon@piercepipeorgans.com.au


South Australia

 


First Church of Christ Scientist, Adelaide

(Church building to be sold)

Whitehouse Bros, Brisbane, 1957
Enlarged 1989 George Stephens, Adelaide
2 manuals, 14 speaking stops, 7 couplers, electro-pneumatic action

No casework (organ behind a grille in the present church)

Dimensions: [not supplied]

Contact: Mrs Ruth Klose, 22 Alma Street, Panoramas, SA 5041
Tel: 0450-939-792 or 08-8277-2342
E-mail: rklose@sahost.net.au


 

Western Australia

No organs listed at present.

Tasmania

No organs listed at present.

 

 

A  SELECT LIST OF SUCCESSFULLY RE-LOCATED ORGANS IN AUSTRALIA

This list contains some redundant organs that have been successfully re-located in Australia since 1995.
The list is arranged chronologically by the dates of re-location. The organs listed are notable in that they
retain the integrity of their original builder's design.

Included here are instruments that were originally listed by OHTA as redundant, some that were effectively
redundant although never listed as such, and some that have been successfully re-located from overseas.

1995

 

St Peter's Anglican Church, East Sydney, NSW (Hele & Co. 1880)
to St Finbar's Catholic Church, Glenbrook, NSW

   

1998

 

Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Port Melbourne, Vic (Geo. Fincham & Sons 1901)
to St Joseph's Catholic Church, Edgecliff, NSW

   

1998

 

St Stephen's Catholic Cathedral, Brisbane (William Anderson 1889?)
to Old Museum Building, Bowen Hills, Qld

   

1999

 

St Luke's Anglican Church, Cowley, Oxfordshire, UK (Harrison & Harrison 1938)
to St Mark's Anglican Church, Fitzroy, Vic

   

1999

 

Independent (Congregational) Church, Prahran, Vic (Frederick W. Nicholson 1862)
to St Patrick and the Holy Angels' Catholic Church, Mentone, Vic

   

2000

 

St Mary's Redemptorist Monastery, Ballarat, Vic (Alfred Fuller 1890)
to St John's Catholic Church, Heidelberg, Vic

   

2003

 

Epworth Uniting Church, Parkside, SA (J.E. Dodd 1912)
to St Thomas the Apostle Catholic Church, Claremont, WA

   

2004

 

Presbyterian Assembly Hall (Scots Church), Sydney (Hill, Norman & Beard 1930)
to Scotch College Memorial Hall, Hawthorn, Vic

   

2005

 

Elsternwick Baptist Church, Vic (Douglas Renton 1874)
to St John the Evangelist Anglican Church, Flinders, Vic

   

2005

 

St Saviour's Anglican Church, Walton Place, London, UK (Norman & Beard 1898)
to St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral, Parramatta, NSW

   

2006

 

Methodist Church, North Essendon, Vic (Fincham & Hobday 1891)
to St Fidelis' Catholic Church, Moreland, Vic

   

2007

 

St John the Baptist Anglican Church, West Hobart, Tas (Henry Bevington & Sons 1879)
to St John the Baptist Catholic Church, Bonnyrigg Heights, NSW

   

2009

 

Newtown Methodist Church, Wellington, NZ (Arthur Hobday 1905)
to St Mary's Catholic Cathedral, Perth, WA

   

2010

 

Seventh-Day Adventist Church, College Park, SA  (Johann Wolff 1880)
to St Aloysius' Catholic Church, Caulfield, Vic

   

2011

 

Congregational Church, Williamstown, Vic (George Fincham 1885)
to St Carthage's Catholic Church, Parkville, Vic

   

2012

 

St Francis Xavier's Catholic Church, Bowenfels, NSW (Balbiani 1929)
to Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Carlton, Vic

   

2014

 

St Peter's Anglican Church, Eaglehawk, Vic (Alfred Crook c.1886)
to St Mary-the-Virgin Anglican-Catholic Church, Caulfield South, Vic

   

2014

 

Town Hall, Adelaide, SA (Hill & Son 1877)
to Barossa Regional Gallery, Tanunda, SA

   

2015

 

Marist College, Pearce, ACT (Wadsworth Bros 1908)
to Westminster Presbyterian Church Belconnen, Cook, ACT

   

2016

 

Uniting Church (formerly Methodist), Barkly Street, Ballarat, Vic (Fincham & Hobday 1899)
to St John's Anglican Church, Creswick, Vic

   

2016

 

Girrawheen Community Church (formerly Methodist), Brighton, Vic (Alfred Fuller 1884, 1893)
to St Brendan's Catholic Church, Flemington, Vic

   

2016

 

St Jean de la Croix Catholic Church, Montreal, Canada (Casavant Frères 1927)
to St Francis Xavier's Catholic Cathedral, Adelaide, SA

   

2016

 

Congregational Church, Gawler, SA (Fincham & Hobday 1885, 1888)
to 'Swifts', Darling Point, NSW