St Andrew's Presbyterian Church
Cecil Street, Williamstown

B 1882 George Fincham; reb 1956 Geo Fincham & Sons; reb 1983 S.J. Laurie.
2 manuals, 24 speaking stops, 7 couplers, electro-pneumatic action

 

This attractive bluestone church with cement dressings was erected in 1859-60 to the design of David Ross on similar lines to the Wesleyan Church, Fitzroy Street, St Kilda. Owing to defective masonry, the church was rebuilt and extended in 1870-71 under the supervision of prominent Melbourne architect Lloyd Tayler (1830-1900) whose other church designs included St Mary's Anglican Church, North Melbourne, St Philip's Anglican Church, Collingwood (demolished) and the Presbyterian Church, South Yarra. The tower was raised to its present height in 1934 to the design of architects Taylor, Soilleux and Overend, their perspective drawing displayed in the church hall; it includes a circular stair turret. The interior includes excellent cedar timber joinery and several stained glass windows.

The first organ was built in 1874 by Douglas Renton and is now at St John's Anglican Church, Flinders after a number of moves. It was one of the first pipe organs to be placed in a Presbyterian church in Victoria. The present organ was built in 1882 by George Fincham, incorporating a very fine three-tower case in cedar with splayed outer towers, carved decorative banding and gilt spotted metal fa├žade pipes. The four reed ranks were imported from England at the church's request. The tonal design is conservative and in Fincham's later 1870s style. The four reed stops were imported from England. Later rebuilding (with electrification and detached stopkey console) was carried out by George Fincham & Sons Pty Ltd in 1956 and further work by S.J. Laurie Pty Ltd in 1983. All of the original pipework survives.



GREAT
Open Diapason
Claribel
Dulciana
Principal
Harmonic Flute
Twelfth
Fifteenth
Mixture
Trumpet
Clarinet

SWELL
Double Diapason
Open Diapason
Gedact
Keraulophon
Gemshorn
Flute
Flageolet
Cornopean
Oboe

PEDAL
Open Diapason
Bourdon
Principal
Bass Flute
Clarinet

8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2
II
8
8


16
8
8
8
4
4
2
8
8


16
16
8
8
8








(Laurie)

A (Laurie unit chest)





gvd bass







B
C
B
C
A

7 couplers

Electro-pneumatic action

Detached stopkey console





The b&w shot shows the organ before the alterations to the centre of the church in the 1970s and the original pulpit.



Notes for a Society of Organists (Victoria) visit 6 November 2007 compiled by John Maidment.
Photos: JRM (Nov 2007)