Trinity College Chapel
Royal Parade, Parkville

First organ: Built 1923 J.E. Dodd, Adelaide;
rebuilt 1959 Hill, Norman & Beard (o/n V435);
rebuilt & enlarged 1989 S.J. Laurie.
2 manuals, 24 speaking stops, 9 couplers, electro-pneumatic.
Removed 1997; some parts used in new organ at Camberwell Grammar School, Canterbury

Present organs:

(1) B 1997-98 Kenneth Jones & Associates, Bray, Ireland.
3 manuals, 33 speaking stops, 6 couplers, tracker & electric stop action.

(2) Chamber organ, B 1983 Knud Smenge.
1 manual, 4 speaking stops, no pedals, tracker. Man: 8.4.2.II.





The original organ with tubular-pneumatic action was built, under the consultancy of A E Floyd, by J E Dodd of Adelaide in 1923 and opened in 1925. The organ case was designed by William Blackett, following the concepts envisioned by North.

Handwritten memorandum on J.E. Dodd letterhead 23rd November 1921. "Dr Floyd's copy to be returned with all notes JED 28-11-2" incorporating details of console arrangements: drawstop and piston layouts, combinations. "All alterations noted & originals returned 5/12/1921." The specification of the organ is unusual in that three stops on the bottom manual are grouped on the console as 'Choir' on the right hand stop jamb and that these are clearly enclosed in a separate swell box.



The Dodd organ of 1923


GREAT
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Claribel
Principal

CHOIR
Dulciana
Flute d'Orchestre
Clarinet
Swell to Great

SWELL
Open Diapason
Hohl Flote
Gamba
Celeste
Gemshorn
Flauto Traverso
Fifteenth
Mixture
Bassoon
Cornopean
Oboe
Clarion
Tremulant
Sub Octave
Unison Off
Super Octave

PEDAL
Open Diapason
Bourdon
Octave
Bass Flute
Contra Fagotto
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

16
8
8
4


8
4
8



8
8
8
8
4
4
2
[III]
16
8
8
4






16
16
8
8
16



[A]




(enclosed: playable on lower manual)














[B]
[C]
[B]
[C]






[D]
[A]
[D]
[A]
[B]




[the above specification reprinted from OHTA NEWS July 2005 p15: Dr AE Floyd and his role as Organ Consultant. Ian Burk & John Maidment]

The Dodd organ was rebuilt by Hill, Norman & Beard in 1959 with major tonal revisions, new console, action and divided on either side of the bridge. Further work was undertaken by S.J. Laurie in 1989 (additions marked •). It was removed from the building in 1997 and some parts (such as the two slider windchests and a limited mount of pipework) were used in a new organ built for Camberwell Grammar School, Canterbury by Australian Pipe Organs Pty Ltd, with the exception of stops marked ¶ which have been retained in the current instrument.




The organ as it appeared following the 1959 rebuild by Hill, Norman & Beard


GREAT
Open diapason
Gedeckt
Gamba
Octave
Super octave
Mixture
Sharp mixture
Trompette

Swell sub-octave to Great
Swell to Great
Swell octave to Great

SWELL (enclosed)
Hohl flote
Salicional
Voix celeste
Gemshorn
Nazard
Flageolet
Cymbel
Contra oboe
Cornopean

Sub-octave
Swell unison off
Octave

PEDAL
Majorbass
Bourdon
Grossquint
Octave
Flute
Octave flute
Contra oboe

Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Swell octave to Pedal

8
8
8
4
2
III
III
8






8
8
8
4
2-2/3
2
III
16
8






16
16
10-2/3
8
8
4
16







• ¶


(17.19.22)
• (26.29.33)













(22.26.29)
[A] ¶







[B]¶
[C]
[C]
[B]
[C]
[C]
[A]






The present organ, built in 1997 by Kenneth Jones of Dublin, Ireland, was installed in the Chapel in early 1998, and dedicated on Palm Sunday, 5 April. The raising of funds for the purchasing of the instrument was undertaken by the Trinity College Music Foundation, a worthwhile and profitable project to provide the musical and theological communities of the College and the wider concert-attending public with a fine instrument, worthy of the building and its musical heritage. The organ is unique both in design and specification, much emphasis having been placed on its ‘architectural and visually aesthetic qualities’, and the requirement that it aptly complement ‘the art-nouveau Gothic and naturalistic motifs of the building’. It was built in Tasmanian oak to ‘accord with the permanent seats and paneling’ of the Chapel. The organ’s specification and tonal qualities, on the advice of the College’s Organ Consultant Mr John Maidment OAM, ‘should encompass richness, warmth, mystery, character, gravity and brilliance as required, offering wide flexibility’.

The Chapel also boasts a portable chamber organ.




Specification of the Jones Grand Organ (OHTA News April 1998):

Great Organ (I)
Double Diapason
Open Diapason
Rohrflute
Octave
Coppel Flute
Fifteenth
Mixture
Trumpet
Tremulant
Swell to Great
Solo to Great

Swell Organ (II)
Stopped Diapason
Salicional
Voix Céleste
Principal
Wald Flute
Octavin
Mixture
Double Trumpet
Cornopean
Oboe
Tremulant

Solo Organ (III)
Open Flute
Gamba
Wide Octave
Nazard
Superoctave
Nachthorn
Tierce
Cromorne
Solo Trumpet

Pedal Organ
Subbass
Open Wood
Subbass
Octave
Bass Flute
Trombone
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Solo to Pedal
Solo octave to Pedal

16
8
8
4
4
2
IV
8





8
8
8
4
4
2
IV-V
16
8
8



8
8
4
2-2/3
2
2
1-3/5
8
8


32
16
16
8
8
16


























*
*




*









A
*
A

A






open to FFF#, 1 - 6 stopped metal





1-1/3

Great + Solo



(enclosed)
oak bass

TC



2





(unenclosed)





1 - 18 from Superoctave





polyphone bass: mahogany
pine & oregon

1 - 12 from Great Open Diapason
pine
pine




Accessories
6 thumb pistons to Great organ
6 thumb pistons to Swell organ
6 thumb pistons to Solo organ
6 toes pistons to Pedal organ
8 general thumb pistons, duplicated by toe pistons

Stepping facility to interrogate general pistons in sequence

All pistons adjustable by setter piston and with multiple memories

Reversible thumb pistons for:
Swell to Great
Solo to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Solo to Pedal

Reversible toe pistons for:
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal

General Cancel thumb piston

Balanced mechanical expression pedal with switchable electro-mechanical action to rear shutters

Adjustable bench

Provision for closed circuit television

Tuning: Equal Temperament A = 440 @ 21˚ C.

Wind pressures:
Great and Solo - 80mm
Swell - 90mm
Pedal - 90mm
Polyphone - 160mm


Compass: 58/30



* ranks retained from previous organ, all restored and revoiced

The ranks that were retained have the following attributions:

Swell Cornopean, Oboe and Pedal Open Wood from the Dodd organ
Solo Gamba from the Laurie enlargement of the old organ 1989 - a Keraulophon from the 1860s with a new bass octave






Photo above: Kenneth Jones - taken at the organbuilder’s factory in 1997





 
     
 
 


Internal photos: Trevor Bunning (April 2009)


Photos: Simon Colvin (Dec. 2006 and Aug. 2007)




Organ photos: Andrew Lecky