Thomson Memorial Presbyterian Church
1879 William Anderson; reb. & inst. 1902 George Fincham & Son from Holy Trinity, Kew.
2m., 14 sp. st., 3c., tr.
This exceptional church, in Barrabool and Waurn Ponds stone, was designed by Reed, Smart & Tappin as a memorial to John Thomson, of 'Keilambete', who was killed in 1890 after engaging the architects. Dedicated as his memorial in 1894, the building includes a clerestoried nave, with aisles, transepts, a semicircular apse housing a vestry and an arresting tower and spire, of French character. The building remains exceptionally intact and incorporates fine furnishings in Kauri, leadlight windows and original light fittings. It is one of Australia's finest and most striking country churches.
The organ was built by the Melbourne organbuilder William Anderson and installed in 1879 at Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Kew. The instrument was extensively rebuilt and overhauled by George Fincham & Son and installed at Terang in 1902. Further restoration work was carried out by Hill, Norman & Beard (Australia) Pty Ltd in 1971. It is sited in the south transept behind a typical simple Anderson case, the pipes supported by pinnacled posts and a transome rail pierced with quatrefoils. The fretted Gothic motifs over the console were first seen locally in the Alfred Hunter organ installed by Anderson at Christ Church, Hawthorn shortly beforehand.
The specification is:
Stop Diapason Bass
Swell to Great
Open Pedal Pipes
Great to Pedals
Swell to Pedals
Trigger swell lever
Mechanical action to keys and drawstops
Information from OHTA conference book 1994
Photos supplied by JRM May 2006