St John's Anglican Churh
1 manual, 8 speaking stops, 1 coupler, mechanical action
Rest.1964 Davis & Laurie, 1980 R.J. Heatley
Photo: Trevor Bunning (Oct. 2008)
The nave of St John's Church was built in 1874 by George Morce and constructed in massive blocks of limestone in a simple Gothic style with diagonal buttresses. The transepts were added in 1889 and the apsidal chancel in 1909-11. The stained glass includes a window from the original St Paul's Church, Melbourne by Ferguson & Urie and others by William Montgomery and Alan Sumner. The interior woodwork remains unvarnished with an attractive patination.
The organ is believed to be of English origin and probably dates from the 1850s. There is no builder's plate. It was installed at St John's Church in 1924 by George Fincham & Sons and came from St Andrew's Anglican Church, Clifton Hill, where it was replaced by a larger Fincham instrument from All Saints' Anglican Church, East St Kilda. The instrument is of interest for its attractive casework (later overpainted in white), with overhang, attractive cornice mouldings and three towers with ogee arches containing stencilled dummy pipes. The drawknobs retain their original script engraving, without pitch designations, and a Bell Gamba is placed on the front slide. Restoration work was carried out in 1964 by Davis & Laurie and in 1980 by R.J. Heatley at which time some of the console woodwork, such as the music desk, was replaced.
Manuel to Pedals
orig CC-C only
Trigger swell lever
Victorian Churches: their origins, their story & their architecture, edited by Miles Lewis. East Melbourne; National Trust of Australia (Victoria), 1991, p.121