St John's Lutheran Church

Pella Church Road, Pella

Built 1885 by Alfred Fuller for Congregational Church, Howe Crescent, South Melbourne
Installed present location 1970 by Hill, Norman & Beard (Australia) Pty Ltd (order no V803)
2 manuals, 10 speaking stops, 3 couplers, mechanical action



St John's Lutheran Church, Pella: the exterior
[photograph by Tony Love (October 2013)]



Historical and Technical Documentation by John Maidment
© OHTA, 2008 (last updated November 2013)

 



Congregational Church, South Melbourne: the Fuller organ
[photograph by Robert Tobin (c.1969)]


Construction of St John's Church began in 1910, constructed from locally quarried limestone.1

The organ in this church was built in 1885 by Alfred Fuller, of Kew, for the Congregational Church, Howe Crescent, South Melbourne. Here it was installed free-standing on a gallery at the front of this spacious church. It was reported:

A new organ built by Mr. Fuller, of Kew has been placed in the Albert-park Independent Church and a successful concert and organ recital in connexion with the opening of it was given on Thursday evening, about 700 people being present. Mr. Philip Plaisted performed a series of pieces from the works of the best composers on the new instrument. During the evening, Miss Christie Fuller sang "Nazareth" and "The Lord is Mindful of His Own" and Miss Louise Yeomans "The Children's Home" and "At the Eastern Gate." Solos were also sung by Mr C.P. Rouvray, Mr. Rofe and Mr Bundi.2

The Congregational Church property and organ were sold around 1970 – the building was occupied for some time by the Victorian Chapter of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects. The organ was installed at St John's Lutheran Church, Pella in 1970 by Hill, Norman & Beard (Australia) Pty Ltd.



St John's Lutheran Church, Pella: the Fuller organ
[photograph by Tony Love (October 2013)]

The instrument remains unaltered from the original, retaining its ornately decorated casework and stencilled façade pipes, tonal scheme, splendidly crafted console, cut-crystal knobs to the console doors, wind system and action. It is a very pleasing example of Alfred Fuller's work. The Swell is tuned through a hinged rear panel, with the Oboe placed at the back of the organ.

GREAT
Open Diapason
Claribel
Viol de Gamba
Principal
Harmonic Piccolo
Swell to Great

SWELL
Lieblich Gedackt
Keraulophon
Swabe Flute 
Oboe  
Tremulant to Swell

PEDAL
Bourdon
Great to Pedals
Swell to Pedals


8ft
8ft
8ft
4ft
2ft



8ft
8ft
4ft
8ft



16ft





gvd.bass, spotted metal






gvd.bass
stopped wood
TC






Compass: 56/30
2 composition pedals to Great
Lever swell pedal
Mechanical key & stop action
Attached drawstop console3


1 www.germanaustralia.com/e/pella.htm accessed 6 November 2013

2 The Argus 28 March 1885, p.9

3 Details noted John Maidment February 1966



St John's Lutheran Church, Pella: console
[photograph by Tony Love (October 2013)]




St John's Lutheran Church, Pella: nameplate
[photograph by Tony Love (October 2013)]




St John's Lutheran Church, Pella: left-hand stop jamb
[photograph by Tony Love (October 2013)]




St John's Lutheran Church, Pella: right-hand stop jamb
[photograph by Tony Love (October 2013)]




St John's Lutheran Church, Pella: view of Swell pipework from rear of organ
[photograph by Robert Tobin (c.1969)]