St Patrick's Anglican Church

Beaufort Street, Mount Lawley

Norman Bros & Beard 1893
Installed 1894 R.C. Clifton in Trinity Congregational Church, St George's Terrace, Perth
2 manuals, 18 speaking stops, mechanical action
Installed 1929 Johnston Memorial Congregational Church, Fremantle
Rebuilt & installed in present location 1969 Paul F. Hufner, Perth;
work completed 1972 F.J. Larner & Co., Perth
Refurbished 1996-98 Pipe Organ Builders and Services, Perth
2 manuals, 18 speaking stops, electro-pneumatic action




St Patrick's Church, Mount Lawley: exterior from north-west
[Photograph by Trevor Bunning (10 April 2012)]

 

Historical and Technical Documentation by Patrick Elms and Colin van der Lecq
© OHTA 2012 (last updated May 2012)

St Patrick's Church is a red-brick building built in 1936. The foundation stone was laid on Sunday 22 March, and the building was opened and consecrated on Sunday 9 August. Designed by Messrs Parry and Marshall Clifton in a free Romanesque style, it features an apsidal sanctuary flanked by a massive tower rising to nearly 60ft above the ground. Provision was made for an organ, to be installed at a later date.1



Trinity Congregational Church, Perth: the organ in its original setting
[Photograph from the archives of Hill, Norman & Beard (Australia) Pty Ltd]

The instrument was built by Norman Bros & Beard of Norwich, UK, in 1893 as a mechanical action organ for Trinity Congregational Church, Perth, and erected by Robert Cecil Clifton. The dedication of the organ took place on Wednesday 10 January 1894, a few weeks after the dedication of the church itself, and took the form of a recital by Mr Julius Herz and several anthems and hymns sung by the choir.2

This instrument was the firm's job number 0169 and the cost recorded in its records was £400.3 This was the first of 12 instruments exported to Australia by the firm before 1914, to which may be added the large instrument built by this firm in 1898, now in St Patrick's Catholic Cathedral, Parramatta, NSW.



St Patrick's Church, Mount Lawley: Norman Bros & Beard nameplate
[Photograph by Trevor Bunning (10 April 2012)]

GREAT
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Dulciana
Principal
Flute
Twelfth
Fifteenth
Swell to Great

SWELL
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Principal
Mixture
Horn
Hautbois

PEDAL
Open Diapason
Bourdon
Principal
Flute
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

16
8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2



8
8
4
II
8
8


16
16
8
8


   

5 Composition Pedals to Great Organ
[Compass: 56/30].4


The organ was removed from Trinity Church in 1929 and installed in Johnston Memorial Congregational Church, Fremantle, where it gave good service until 1969. The specification was altered in the 1930s with the Swell Mixture combined with the Great Twelfth 2-2/3ft to produce a 3-rank Mixture and a Viole d' Orchestre 8ft installed in place of the Swell Mixture. The work was possibly carried out by J.E. Dodd of Adelaide.

In 1969 it was removed, rebuilt and installed in St Patrick's Church, Mt Lawley, by Paul F. Hufner of Perth. Only the building frame, bellows, Swell, Pedal and a new console were installed at this time, while the Great windchest was prepared for installation.



St Patrick's Church, Mount Lawley: the modified Norman Bros & Beard organ case
[Photograph by Trevor Bunning (10 April 2012)]


The Great division and case were installed by F.J. Larner & Co. in 1972, with the original Norman & Beard specification reinstated in the late 1970s, then changed back to the 1930s specification by F.J. Larner & Co. in the mid 1980s.5 Console moves were carried out by Lynn Kirkham and Doug Miller around 1983.



St Patrick's Church, Mount Lawley: the later detached console
[Photograph by Trevor Bunning (10 April 2012)]

Various refurbishments by Pipe Organ Builders and Services of Perth, 1996 -1998, included repairs to the Great & Swell windchests, construction of a new bottom-C pipe for the Pedal Open Diapason 16ft, reinstating the bellows to double-rise, and new electrics.


GREAT
Bourdon
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Dulciana
Principal
Lieblich Flute
Fifteenth
Mixture
Swell Sub to Great
Swell to Great
Swell Octave to Great

SWELL
Open Diapason
Lieblich Gedeckt
Viole d' Orchestre
Principal
Horn
Oboe
Swell Sub
Swell Octave
Tremulant

PEDAL
Open Diapason
Bourdon
Principal
Bass Flute
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

16
8
8
8
4
4
2
III





8
8
8
4
8
8





16
16
8
8


   

Compass: 56/306

 



St Patrick's Church, Mount Lawley: interior from rear showing organ to left of chancel
[Photograph by Trevor Bunning (10 April 2012)]






St Patrick's Church, Mount Lawley: the stop jambs
[Photograph by Trevor Bunning (10 April 2012)]




_______________________________________________________________________

1 The West Australian (23 March 1936), p.17; The West Australian (10 August 1936), p.12

2 The West Australian (12 January 1894), p.7

3 Norman & Beard list of job numbers, compiled by David Wickens for the British Institute of Organ Studies

4 The West Australian (12 January 1894), p. 7

5 Discussion with John Larner, January 2012

6 Information obtained from John Larner, January 2012