Holy Trinity Anglican Church
B 1986 & completed 2000, Roger Jones.
1m, 5spst, 1c, tr.
Man: 126.96.36.199.2. Ped: (electronic 16.)
From the 2009 OHTA Conference Book, David Shield writes:
At the Diocesan Synod of 1860, in the Bishop’s report on the General State of the Church, it was noted that liturgical services were statedly held by clergymen or lay readers at nine townships including Lyndoch Valley.1 In fact, one acre of land had been set aside as a gift for the Church of England from the South Australia Company’s survey of the district in 1839. A flood necessitated the choice of a different site after building had reached window height so services were conducted in various places until the church was consecrated on 3 August 1861. Built on the Glebe to the north of the town, ironstone had been quarried nearby, with slate for the roof, tiles for the floor and glass for the windows being imported from Britain.2
The organ was first constructed in 1985. Impressed by the Krüger organ at Stockwell and its subsequent restoration, Roger Jones determined to emulate it. Never intended as a faithful copy it was based on Krüger’s aims and methods.3 It remained unsold for a number of years. It was installed in Holy Trinity as a benefaction from the Burge family in 2000. By this time, the Bourdon pipes had been removed and gone elsewhere. Rather than build new pipes, Jones commissioned an electronic bass to be fitted to the existing bass windchest. The casework is painted and consists of three flats, the central one having an embossed pipe at its centre. The whole is capped by cornices and there are carved pipeshades.
As an aside, it is interesting to note that Miss Amy Burge was organist in 1918. She was presented with a silver teapot on her approaching marriage. In her place Miss Eleanor Springbett was appointed.4
More recently, some of the metal pipework was replaced with new pipework, manufactured by Roger Jones, modelled upon the practices of the Schulze firm, with wide 2/7 mouths and bold scaling.5
Roger Jones 1986: completed 2000
1 manual, 6 speaking stops, mechanical action
Attached drawstop console
1 South Australian Advertiser, 9 May, 1860, p.3
2 Church Chronicle, vol 1, no.3 (12 November 1859); also in Teusner, R. & M., Churches of the Barossa Valley (1971), pp.6-7
3 Lutz, M., ‘The New Krüger Organ’, OHTA News, vol 11, no 1 (January 1987), p.18;
Lutz, M., ‘History Relived’, Victorian Organ Journal (April 1987), pp.5-8
4 Register, 9 November 1918, p. 10.7 – ‘Religious Notices’
5 ‘News from organ builders’, OHTA News, vol 24, no 2 (April 2000), p.15
Photos: Trevor Bunning (Oct 2009)