Seventh Day Adventist & Multicultural Church
(formerly Memorial Uniting and originally Congregational)
Brisbane Stree, Hobart
B. 1879 George Fincham; reb. 1936 & enl. 1939 Geo. Fincham & Sons (addition of choir organ).
Reb. 1992 Gibbs & Thomson. 3m., 24 sp.st., 6c., el.pn.
Gt: 126.96.36.199.4.2-2/3.2.III.8. Sw: 188.8.131.52.184.108.40.206. Ch: 220.127.116.11.8. Ped: 16.16.
Photos: Trevor Bunning (Dec 2008)
From the 1992 OHTA Conference Book:
This distinctive stone church, in High Victorian Gothic style with French overtones, was built in 1870 - 72 to the design of the local architect Francis Butler for the Congregational denomination .
The organ was built in 1879 by George Fincham as a two-manual instrument of 18 stops. In 1936 it was rebuilt with tubular-pneumatic action and detached console by George Fincham & Sons who added a Choir Organ of five stops in 1939 . The Clarinet stop came from St Patrick's Cathedral, Melbourne . The instrument has recently been rebuilt by Gibbs & Thomson, of Hobart. The action has been electrified and a new console installed within the organ case. Several tonal changes have been made, but the majority of the original pipework survives.
The 2000 specification is:
19.22.26.(remade J.W. Walker 1981)
TC (tuned as a Celeste)
(ex Wald Flute 4)
(ex Open Diapason 8 + 12 pipes)
(ex Lieblich Gedact 8)
(ex Swell Celeste + 19 pipes)
 Priceless heritage, pp. 123, 130
 Matthews, op.cit., pp. 198, 209
 Clark & Johnson, op. cit., p. 38
 Spec. supplied 1992 the Revd Michael Johnson, from opening recital programme.
This church now has a sign out front indicating that since 2006 it is Seventh Day Adventist and Multicultural.
Photo: Clarke and Johnson's Pipe Organs of Tasmania (3rd ed.), pub Hobart Guild of Organists 2002