Paisley Street, Footscray
B 1948 Hill, Norman & Beard (o/n V206).
2 manuals, 15 speaking stops, 8 couplers, electro-pneumatic action
The organ was built by Hill, Norman & Beard (Australia) Pty Ltd in 1948 as a ‘Peace Memorial Pipe Organ’ and opened on 7 August 1949. The builder’s job number V206, it cost £2,280 and is an instrument of considerable significance as it retains its original console, mechanisms and wind system, with distinctive casework designed by Melbourne architects Tranter Kemsley & Associates whose drawings surviving in the Hill, Norman & Beard collection of drawings at the University of Melbourne Archives. Retaining all of its original pipework, it is the largest example of the firm’s new work dating from immediately after the second world war to remain intact.
The console is of interest for the piston selector system mounted on the rear side of the music desk.
The organ is placed free-standing at the front of the church. The building was designed by architect J. McKellar, with A.Parker contractor; the foundation stone was laid on 6 August 1904.
Swell Sub Octave to Great
Swell to Great
Swell Octave to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
trebles with chimneys
Detached stopkey console
Adjustable thumb & toe pistons
Photos: Simon Colvin (Nov. 2007)
Notes by John Maidment (Nov. 2007)