Elder Hall
University of Adelaide, North Terrace.
Elder Conservatorium

Present organ, B 1979 Casavant Frères, Quebec.
3 manuals, 36 speaking stops, 5 couplers, tracker action






The first organ built for Elder Hall was by J. Dodd in 1901 with 32 stops over three manuals and pedals using mechanical and pneumatic action. It was rebuilt by Dodd in 1934, enlarged to 51 stops and converted to electro-pneumatic action throughout. By the mid-1970s the organ was badly in need of restoration but with the neo-classical movement and a government grant for the upgrading of the hall, a new organ was ordered from Casavant Frères (Canada), their first instrument to be built for Australia. The Dodd organ was bought by St Mark's Catholic Cathedral in Port Pirie, where it is still in use today.

The specification was drawn up by David Swale and James Govenlock, in collaboration with Casavants and has 35 stops over three manuals and pedals with mechanical action throughout.



The specification (taken from "Pipe Organs of Adelaide Volume 5" AMCD96125) is:

Grand-Orgue
Bourdon
Montre
Flûte à cheminée
Prestant
Quinte
Doublette
Cornet (Ten A)
Fourniture
Trompette
Positif au G.O.
Récit au G.O.

Positif
Bourdon
Prestant
Flûte à cheminée
Nasard
Quarte de nasard
Tierce
Larigot
Cymbale
Cromorne
Tremblant

Récit
Flûte ouverte
Viole de gambe
Voix céleste (TC)
Octave
Flûte octaviante
Octavin
Plein Jeu
Bombarde
Trompette
Hautbois
Tremblant

Pédale
Montre
Soubasse
Octavebasse
Octave
Fourniture
Bombarde
Trompette
Clairon
G.O. à la Pédale
Récit à la Pedal

16
8
8
4
2-2/3
2
V
V
8




8
4
4
2-2/3
2
1-3/5
1-1/3
IV
8



8
8
8
4
4
2
V
16
8
8



16
16
8
4
IV
16
8
4



































half length resonators for the bottom 18 notes
















Pedal levers:
Pos/G.O.
Réc/G/O.
G.O./Péd
Réc/Péd

Compass 56/32

Balanced Swell (Récit) pedal
Console en fenêtre
Positif de dos


















Photos: Trevor Bunning (March 2009)