St Andrew's Uniting (Presbyterian) Church
B 1947 Geo Fincham & Sons. Renovated 2006 Wakeley Pipe Organs
2 manuals, 12 speaking stops, 5 couplers, tubular-pneumatic action
Gt: 220.127.116.11.4. Sw: 18.104.22.168.8. Ped: 16.16.
Located in an area of predominantly Scottish settlement, the first bluestone church was built in 1862 and still survives. The present church in red brick was designed by Colac architect D.C. Dunoon. The foundation stone was laid in 1911 and the building opened in 1913, together with a new manse that has since been destroyed. The boarded decoration in the gable of the façade and porch has since been removed. The interior includes several stained glass windows and its original pulpit and pews.
The organ was built in 1947 by George Fincham & Sons Pty Ltd, the gift of Mr D.W. Reddie in memory of his wife Ilma and opened in 1948 by Geelong organist Oswald C. Hearne. It was one of the first contracts completed by the Fincham firm after World War 2, when organ manufacture was prohibited by government decree. The Oboe was imported from the London pipemaker J. Fonseca. Shortly after this instrument was completed, the Fincham firm abandoned the construction of tubular-pneumatic actions to standardise on electro-pneumatic action.
Remaining unaltered from the original, restoration work has been carried out by Wakeley Pipe Organs in 2006 to return the instrument to playable state and the work will proceed subject to fund raising. It was classified by the National Trust of Australia in 2007 as an instrument of historical and musical significance.
Swell to Great
Swell Sub Octave
Swell Super Octave
Great to Pedals
Swell to Pedals
(by rocking tablet on keycheek)
A at low pressure
3 thumb pistons to Great
3 thumb pistons to Swell
Balanced mechanical swell pedal
Tubular-pneumatic key and stop action
Detached stopkey console
Slider windchests for manuals
Information supplied 1994 Mrs Flora Nelson
George Fincham & Sons letter books (State Library of Victoria)
Specification noted John Maidment October 2006
Photos: JRM (Oct 2006)