Church of Christ

Lygon Street, Carlton

Built by Geo. Fincham & Son 1906 as a stock organ
Initially installed Holy Trinity Anglican Church, East Melbourne on hire
Installed present location 1913
2 manuals, 14 speaking stops, 3 couplers, mechanical manual & stop action
Tubular-pneumatic action to pedals



Church of Christ, Carlton: the exterior
(photograph by Mark Quarmby [May 1981])



Historical and Technical Documentation by John Maidment
© OHTA, 2013 (last updated March 2013)

The body of this church dates from 1865 and was built in a classical idiom. In 1889, the bichrome brick façade was added in a naïve Gothic style with flanking towers.1



Church of Christ, Carlton: the organ
(photograph by Mark Quarmby [May 1981])

On 5 January 1906, Geo Fincham & Son recorded the details of a hire organ for Holy Trinity Church, East Melbourne in course of construction in our factory.2

GREAT
Open Diapason
Stopped Diapason
Dulciana
Principal
Flute
Fifteenth
Swell to Great

SWELL
Open Diapason
Gedact
Gamba
Voix Celeste
Octave
Piccolo
Oboe

PEDAL
Bourdon
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

8
8
8
4
4
2



8
8
8
8
4
2
8


16





gvd.bass









TC








 

Compass: 56/30
Mechanical manual & stop action, tubular-pneumatic pedal action
3 composition pedals to Great
3 composition pedals to Swell
Lever swell pedal

Width 8ft
Depth 8ft 6 in including stool3





Church of Christ, Carlton: the organ and the console
(photographs by W.G.S. Smith [c.1970])

This instrument incorporated second-hand parts and was purchased from Geo Fincham & Son in 1913 by William Anderson. It was moved to the Church of Christ, Lygon Street, Carlton where it survives unaltered. On 15 December 1913, Geo. Fincham & Son invoiced Wm Anderson "enclosed please find a/c for erection of organ at Carlton."4


1 Victorian Churches, edited by Miles Lewis. East Melbourne: National Trust of Australia (Victoria), 1991, p.49

2 Geo. Fincham & Son specification book, vol 23, 1905-1912, p.32

3 Specification noted by John Maidment

4 George Fincham & Son letters