St Paul's Anglican Church
cnr Church & Fergusson Streets, Camperdown, Victoria

B 1895 Fincham & Hobday “constructed out of material already worked up”.
Reb 1962 Geo Fincham & Sons. 2m, 18 sp st, 7c, el pn.
Gt: 8.8.8.8.4.4.2. Sw: 8.8.8.8.4.8. Ped: 16.8.8.5-1/3.4.






Photo above: Trevor Bunning (Jan 2011)






The nave of St Paul’s Church, constructed in bluestone, was opened in 1864.  The transepts, crossing and vaulted apsidal sanctuary, in French Gothic style, were added in bluestone, with sandstone details, in 1894 to the design of the accomplished local architect Michael McCabe.  A tower and spire were added in 1955.

 

The building is of particular interest for the vaulted apse and the outstanding collection of stained glass, by such firms as Ward & Hughes and Percy Bacon, both of London, together with the local artists William Montgomery, Brooks, Robinson, Mathieson & Gibson, E.L. Yencken and John Orval.

 

On 18 December 1894, Fincham & Hobday reported that the organ is being “constructed out of material already worked up.”  The instrument cost £438 and was opened in August 1895.  The upper parts of the original casework survive: there is cast iron cresting decorating the horizontal transom rails and the original pipe decoration remains.

 

GREAT
Open Diapason  
Claribel  
Gamba
Dulciana  
Principal
Flute
Fifteenth
Swell to Great

SWELL
Open Diapason  
Hohl Flöte
Stop Diapason Bass
Gamba 
Angelica   
Flute
Oboe & Bassoon
Tremulant

PEDAL
Bourdon
Violon
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal


8
8
8
8
4
4
2



8
8
8
8
8
4
8



16
8



new inside
no 1 stock
gvd bass no 1 stock
gvd bass no 1 stock
out of Open no 1





no 2 stock
(Clar)
CC-BB
TC
TC  Dulc





no 2 stock



3 composition pedals to Great

Mechanical key & stop action

Attached drawknob console

 

The action of the organ was converted to electro-pneumatic by George Fincham & Sons Pty Ltd in 1962.  A new detached stopkey console was installed.  The 1895 tonal scheme remained unaltered, but the following stops were added to the Pedal Organ through the extension of existing material:

 

Bass Flute 8 from Bourdon

Octave Quint 5-1/3 from Bourdon

Octave Flute 4 from Bourdon

 

Fincham & Hobday letter books

 

Conservation Strategy for Stained Glass Windows at St Paul’s Anglican Church, Camperdown, prepared by Geoffrey Wallace 2000 (available on website)


 
 




Photos: JRM (Nov. 2008)


 



 

 

John Maidment

 

16 November 2008