Uniting (formerly Presbyterian) Church
Ascot Vale Road, Ascot Vale
B 1904 Geo Fincham & Son;
restored with tonal additions 1984-85 Geo Fincham & Sons.
2 manuls, 16 speaking stops, 3 couplers, tubular-pneumatic action
Gt: 18.104.22.168.4.4.2. Sw: 22.214.171.124.4.III.8.8. Ped: 16.
Organ destroyed by fire (arson attack) 29 August 2004.
From the 1985 OHTA Conference Handbook:
In 1895, competitive designs were invited for a church to seat 600 people, with the cost not to exceed 4,000 pounds. 38 designs were received and that of Hillson, Beasley and Little was selected. Tenders were called for the erection of the church in September 1896 without the intended tower. On 7 October of that year, the tender of Angel Bros for 3,067 pounds was accepted. The building was completed by May 1897 and dedicated by the Rt Revd Dr Macdonald on 28 May of that year. 
This organ was built in 1904 by George Fincham & Son at a cost of 410 pounds; it was opened on 6 October 1904 by W.F.G. Steele.  Although built well after 1900, this instrument still shows the strong influence of George Fincham, the founder of the firm, who would have been 76 years old at the time.
In 1984 a comprehensive restoration by George Fincham & Sons was carried out with John Maynard as consultant.  The tubular-pneumative action was restored in its entirety and the pipework cleaned and regulated. A Swell Cornopean and Mixture were added, occupying spare slides provided in 1904 but never utilised. 
Photos above: Trevor Bunning (Aug 1985)
3 thumb pistons to Great
3 thumb pistons to Swell
balanced mechanical swell pedal
detached drawstop console
tubular pnematic action 
Photo: Simon Colvin
 Ascot Vale Presbyterian Church: jubilee historical review 1887-1937. Essendon: Essendon Gazette. 1937
 E.N. Matthews. Colonial organs and organbuilders. Carlton: Melbourne University Press, 1969, p. 120
 Pers. comm. John Maynard to John Maidment, 1984
 Notes, John Maidment
 Spec. notes John Maidment, January 1985