Uniting (formerly Congregational) Church
Angaston

B 1908 J.E. Dodd for Draper Memorial Church, Gilbert Street;
inst present loc 1943 & enl 1963 J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works;
alterations and additions 1980 L.R. Waters.
2 manuals, 15 speaking stops, 3 couplers, electro-magnetic.








From Historic Organs of the Barossa Valley Volume 1 (1995) CD booklet:

George Fife Angas provided the money for a church to be shared with dissenters (Congregationalists, Baptists and Methodists) in 1844. The present building was erected in 1878 and the congregation became Uniting in 1976. The organ came from Draper Memorial Methodist Church in Adelaide. It was built in 1908 and installed in its present location in 1943. It has since been electrified with modifications to the console and casework and the addition of ranks.

The electrification was carried out by L & R Waters Pty Ltd [Roger Jones].

The specification is now:

Great
Open Diapason
Claribel
Dulciana
Principal
Lieblich Flute
Nazard
Piccolo

Swell
Geigen Diapason
Lieblich gedact
Viole d'orchestre
Voix Celeste
Flauto traverso
Oboe

Pedal
Bourdon
Echo Bourdon

Couplers
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal

8
8
8
4
4
2-2/3
2


8
8
8
8
4
8


16
16











added 1963






TC added 1963





added 1963









From the 2009 OHTA Conference Book, David Shield writes:

 

Congregationalists were active in the Angaston area as early as 1843.  Initially, worship was jointly conducted in the free chapel in Penrice Road provided for all denominations by John Howard Angas, son of George Fife Angas owner of much of the land in the district.  The ministerial supply of the chapel was mainly from the Congregational or Baptist denominations.  A difference over baptism led to the Congregationalists withdrawing.  The issue revolved around the issue as to whether baptism was “the application of water to the subject or the application of the subject to water.”  The argument was sufficiently vehement as to head for litigation, so rather than pursue the issue, the Congregationalists withdrew and constructed their own church.  Congregational growth saw the building of the present structure in 1879.  The Methodists, established in 1863, combined with the Congregationalists to form the Union Church in 1969.1

 

The organ was built in 1908 by J.E. Dodd for the Draper Memorial Church, Gilbert Street, Adelaide.  Constructed in 1867 as a Wesleyan Methodist Church to the south of the city centre, it became known as the Draper Memorial Church.  It had purchased an organ built by Johann Wolff in 1874 but this was replaced 40 years later by the Dodd organ.  Membership declined and the church was sold in 1927 to an Apostolic denomination.  It was eventually demolished in 1971.2

 

The Congregationalists of Angaston acquired the organ in 1943.  It was dedicated to the late Revd E.W. Weymouth, who had ministered at Angaston from 1934 to 1942.  It would seem that at this point it retained its tracker action and attached console and was installed in a central position at the front of the church.  In 1963, the organ was moved to the west end and the choir stalls were relocated to the eastern side thus forming the sanctuary.  The cost of the project was given as £1000.The console and action remained intact.

 

In 1980 a large bequest was received from the estate of Miss Nellie Sibley.  This enabled repairs and alterations to be made to the organ.  The rebuilt action was electrified. The console was detached and remodelled with stopkeys replacing drawknobs.  The trigger tremulant was removed.  It was moved to the eastern end of the church and a further stop added.  L.S. & L.R. Waters undertook the work.3

 

 

 

J.E. Dodd 1908; J.E. Dodd & Sons Gunstar Organ Works - installed 1943, enlarged 1963. 
Rebuilt 1980 L.S. & L.R. Waters with alterations and additions

2 manuals, 16 speaking stops, electro-magnetic action

 

GREAT ORGAN

 

 

Open Diapason

8

 

Claribel

8

 

Dulciana

8

 

Principal

4

 

Lieblich Flute

4

 

Nazard

2-2/3

(1980)

Piccolo

2

 

Swell to Great

 

 

 

 

 

SWELL ORGAN

 

 

Geigen Diapason

8

 

Lieblich Gedact

8

 

Viole d’Orchestre

8

 

Voix Celeste

8

TC (1963)

Flauto Traverso

4

 

Oboe

8

 

 

 

 

PEDAL ORGAN

 

 

Bourdon

16

 

Echo Bourdon

16

(1963)

Great to Pedal

 

 

Swell to Pedal

 

 

 

Compass:  58/30

Two toe pistons to Great

Two toe pistons to Swell

Balanced swell pedal

 

 

 

 

_________________________________________________________________________

 

1  Leaflet: Union Church Angaston (no date). As an aside, the Methodist Church choir from Kapunda sang at the laying of the foundation stone ceremony on 26 August 1863.  They received no fee but only expenses for the horse!

 

2  Advertiser, 25 September 1874, p.2.5; Hunt, A.D., This Side of Heaven (1985), p.42; Burden, M., Lost Adelaide (1983), p.87.  The overall cost was said to be £350: Australian Christian Commonwealth, 4 December 1908.  The late Gordon Gunn lists an actual figure of £245.10 - record book compiled by Gordon Gunn in possession of D. Shield

 

3  Angaston Uniting Church: 125th Anniversary of the Church Hall and Fellowship (1986), pp.4-6

 

 



Photos: Trevor Bunning (Oct 2009)