All Saints' Anglican Church
1926 T.C. Edwards. Reb. 1963 S.T. Noad & Son.
2m., 13 sp.st., 6c., el.pn.
The foundation stone of the present All Saints' Church was laid in December 1875 and the building opened in 1878, the tower and spire being completed in 1882, the latter donated by Mr C.D. Bardwell. The building is an outstanding example of the work of Edmund Blacket in the Norman style constructed in red brick with cement dressings.
In 1990 the building was fully restored. The roof was recovered in Welsh slates (replacing earlier asbestos tiles which had in turn replaced the original wooden shingles) while steel plates were used to reinforce the roof trusses. Replacement wooden gargoyles were carved and placed at the base of the spire. The interior was repainted in heritage colours. The church incorporates an excellent range of high-quality stained glass, including the east window, a magnificent example of the work of John Hardman & Sons and at the west end a fine rose window depicting the four evangelists. The carved pews appear to have been designed by the architect.
Sited in an open position in the north transept, the organ was built by the Sydney organbuilder T.C. Edwards in 1926 at a cost of £1,250, utilising English pipework from Alfred Palmer & Sons. Originally with two manuals, 11 speaking stops and tubular-pneumatic action, it was rebuilt with electro-pneumatic action in 1963 by S.T. Noad & Son. In 1990 Peter D.G. Jewkes restored the chests, action and bellows and a few years later upgraded the action with solid state circuitry from SSL and fitted new keyboards, also inserting a Fifteenth 2ft on a spare slide on the swell windchest. It is a fine example of contemporary organbuilding with an outstanding and robust sound.
© PdL 2006
Swell to Great
Great to Pedal
Swell to Pedal
Detached stopkey console
Welcome to All Saints' Anglican Church, Tumut
Graeme D. Rushworth, Historic Pipe Organs of New South Wales, Sydney: Hale & Iremonger, 1988, p.174.
Specification and further historical information supplied by Peter Jewkes August 2003